Mary Mary Quite Contrary (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #5)

Mary Mary Quite Contrary (The Grimm Diaries Prequels, #5) - Cameron Jace "Mirror, Mirror on the wall..." The queen pleaded.
"It's Mary, Mary on the wall, my queen,"

Dark, very original and totally unexpected! :D
When I started reading this I had no idea what the story was about. And boy did I love finding out! :D I have always had this huge love for fairytales and their darker side. The evil witch sends the hunter into the forest to bring her the heart of Snow White and when he fails she tries and tries again 3 times to kill her herself. The wolf eats both the grandma and little red riding hood until the hunter rips his stomach and pulls them out! Hansel and Gretel after being left in the woods by their parents because they can't afford to feed them, are captured by an evil witch who wants to cook them for diner and in order to escape they push her in the over where she burns alive and so on and so on! The Brothers Grimm's tales if you put aside prince charming and the happy endings were always a little scary! Murders, kidnappings, etc... Not that I didn't like them... They wrote some of my favorite stories as a kid, but still... :)
So to get back to this book the narrator is the Devil! And he tells the story of Bloody Mary as only 'he' can! :D Mary has always been a scary character, say her name in front of a mirror 3 times and she 'll come out and hurt you! Mirrors where always thought to have magical properties. Now, what the author does is connect this urban tale with Snow White! You can imagine how! :D

"Mary, Mary quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row.

Oh I loved this!!! :D Even though it was mainly narration it was sooo original! One of the best short stories I 've read and by far my best prequel so far!